Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 12, 2012

30 for 30 Countdown #6 - Begging for Beginners

All who live or travel through New York City will undoubtedly encounter the panhandlers, beggars, and homeless people on the streets.  Though varying in levels of sympathy and entertainment, you cannot turn a corner or ride the subway without one of these confrontations.

In all other cities where I have lived, I have taken a generally strong stance against giving anyone money on the streets.  My strongest reasoning was that it promotes people to continue to hang out in those locations, keeping them from seeking out shelters and making it feel less safe.  New York is a whole different ball game.  There are too many people in need for the shelters to take them all.  There are always people on the streets, so a beggar does not make it feel less safe.  And, since begging is a way of life, it is not going anywhere.  So, since I have moved to New York, my stance has become quite different.  I usually give $1 to about 70% of the people who ask me for money.  I also pay attention to them more.  I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to have to ask people for money on the streets or in the subway.

So instead of imagining...I tried it.


You should watch the video, but here is my script:  Attention ladies and gentlemen, please pardon the interruption.  I'm not hungry, I'm not homeless, but I'm turning 30 years old.  As part of my celebration, I am participating in a number of charity events.  Today I am raising money for New York Coalition for the homeless, for which I have already raised over $600.  I am raising this money today in a way to gain an understanding of what some people must go through every day.  So if you have any small amount to give, I will be matching every penny and can assure you it is going to a good place.

It was terrifying.  Some people were pleasant, others were not, but the whole experience is definitely traumatic.  People who must do this because they are truly in need are in extremely difficult circumstances.  I feel good about each dollar I've given.

Strangely enough, people were actually willing to give me money!



I made $10, which I will happily match and add to the pool that I have already collected.

If you find this whole thing uncomfortably awkward, know that I am not showing the tape of one train car that I was in when, as soon as I began my speech, the conductor came over the loud speaker to announce that the 7 train was not running.  I, of course, paused in politeness to let the conductor finish.  Perhaps this made me seem less sincere because no one in that car gave me anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment