Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 4, 2012

30 for 30 Countdown #14 - Do you Believe...

...in life after love...after love...after love....

are the lyrics to one of my favorite Cher songs.  They are also the lyrics to a song Thomas and I decided we would sing at a karaoke bar.

We jumped up on stage and the music started.  We started flailing our arms and spinning our heads...we were dancing hard.  But then, it was time to sing.  We froze.  A few noises came out of my mouth and then I just started to laugh from embarrassment.  Tina jumped on stage, grabbed the mic, and saved us.

Yes, I'm kind of a ham.  Yes, I like singing.  But, being alone on a stage with a mic scares the poop out of me.

A lot of you have probably been to karaoke places with me before and know that I love it.  But, I really only like "background" singing.  If I can be the low harmony or belt behind music so loud that no one can really hear me anyway, I am very happy.  Having a mic and being alone in front of strangers is something I've never actually been able to do.

I have all kinds of excuses: "I can sing on key but my voice sounds bad"; "I have too small of a range"; "My voice cracks."  Time to suck it up and do it!

My initial plan was to sing my favorite, "If I could turn back time."  Mike suggested that I practice so we pulled up a karaoke version on youtube.  As I began singing to him, he cringed.  I tried another Cher song, "Strong enough."  Still a no.  I was beginning to realize that I was about to humiliate myself badly.  We ran through about 5 more songs until we found one.

At a dive karaoke bar in Chinatown....



I have no idea who the random guy was that decided to interpretive dance as I was singing, but he definitely made it more interesting!  Thanks to all who cheered me on!  Couldn't live without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment