Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2012

30 for 30 Countdown #13 - Polar Bear

What do I hate more than anything?  Being cold.  But, I promised to be a little crazy for my 30 for 30.

So, what made me do this?


I'll back up for a minute.  Many northern cities have a "polar bear club."  This is a group of people who get together and dunk themselves in the frigid water in January or February to raise money for charity.  

This year, the long beach polar bear club met today...


So, although I am more of a tropical rain forest animal like a snake or a toucan, I joined the polar bears today for a dunk in the Atlantic.



We took a pre-soak picture and took off....





My feet became numb almost immediately.  Then my thighs began burning.  As a wave washed over my shoulders, I lost my breath for a second.  That water is COLD!


I definitely felt invigorated!  I didn't even need to put my coat on right away until I realized that I had lost all feeling in my extremities.  


 Mike took off and went back in 3 times.

I'm actually quite proud of myself for this one.  I am the person who goes into this ocean in a wet suit in the summer.  I wear layers upon layers of sweaters in 60 degree weather.  I don't drink ice in my water.  I complain when the air conditioning is blowing on me.

But you know what?  I went into the ocean in February!  Boo-yah!

No comments:

Post a Comment