Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

30 for 30 Countdown #12 - Goddard do the right thing

Though all people should do their best to help their community, lawyers have a particular responsibility to provide no-cost legal services to those who cannot otherwise afford them.

Today, I participated in a pro-bono clinic at the Goddard Senior Center.  (Yes, I love puns).  Lawyers who participate in this clinic perform intake functions for seniors who have legal questions or needs.  Frequently, seniors need help with writing wills or have questions about housing or government benefits.  In addition to the legal services, I think the seniors like having someone to talk to who will listen to their problems.


My favorite interaction from today was a man who, although he was there to ask for legal assistance, wanted to discuss the movie "12 Angry Men."  He was so excited that I had seen it and wanted to know when and under what circumstances.  "I want to learn how to bend the law, but not break it!"  He exclaimed as he laughed.

This was in stark contrast to the senior who stated that it should be required for all young people to visit nursing homes and hospital wings for the elderly.  As a child of a geriatric physician and someone who saw the decline of her aging grandparents, I understand what a different life many seniors have.

"If young people saw these things," he stated, "we might actually have hope for peace in the world."

I'm thankful for the ability to provide a service to a demographic that truly needs it.  Now, go call your grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment