Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 28, 2012

30 for 30 Countdown #21 - Motorcycle Chick!

When I tell people about my 30 for 30 challenge, one of the first suggestions is always skydiving.  People who suggest this clearly do not know me very well.  Although I looooooove rollercoasters, I'm kind of a chicken.  I think skydiving is pretty much off the list for me forever.

However, there are three fairly commonplace experiences that I have never had because, frankly, I've always been too terrified.  These experiences are riding in a helicopter, scuba diving, and riding a motorcycle.  These things have always appealed to me in some way, though I've never had the nerve to actually attempt them.  (This is unlike skydiving, which sounds like a terrible experience where I would probably throw up and pass out.  I'd probably be the first sky diver to ever die from choking on her own vomit).

Anyway, during my 30 for 30, I decided I had to step it up and face one of these big time fears!  I called my cousin Jerry, who teaches a motorcycle safety class!  A lot of what stopped me from getting on a bike before was that I never trusted the people who offered to give me a ride.  Fortunately, Jerry was there and I completely trusted the driver!

He came to pick me up.  "Call me when you get here," I told him.  "Don't worry," he replied, "you'll hear me first.

I got on my motor-chick gear (leather jacket; jeans; boots); he even brought me a sweet white helmet!




 I ignored the knot in the pit of my stomach, and grabbed the handle bars.  I totally knew what to do - I win every time at Dave & Busters!  Jerry laughed at me and taught me some of the first motorcycle safety tips!   1. Get on from the left side!  The exhaust pipe is on the right and gets super hot!  2. Always hold the brakes when stopped.  3. I'm the passenger - never put my feet on the ground.



I was very good at following directions.

We were off!

I was nervous, but excited as we drove out of the parking lot.  All of a sudden, we turned and we were on a road with real cars!  Woo hoo!  We turned down a side street and accelerated!  Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!  Weeeee Weeee WEEEEEEEE!!!!!  I was basically the Geico pig (anyone see that commercial?) as we weaved onto different streets.  







Left in the light.... returned in the night.  :)  Time to buy a Harley?

No comments:

Post a Comment