Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

30 for 30 Countdown #18 - Rock sk8

The ice skating rink in Rockefeller center is the most famous in the world.  Although I've walked by it many times, I've never skated there.  In fact, I haven't skated since I was 18 - freshman year of college.



Today is one of those atypical BEAUTIFUL January days in New York.  It's bright and sunny and 50 degrees - perfect for ice skating.  Of course, there was an important decision: do I skate during the day in the sun or at night when it is beautiful and romantic?

I decided I wanted to go during the day and get out of the office.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone who was willing to play hookie with me for an hour.  The new decision became: do I go skating all by myself?

Like most young people (and probably all people), I don't like doing things alone.  I remember getting my first job after college at Disney.  I showed up and did not know a single person in all of Orlando.  I had no one to hang out with, which was a complete shock after 4 years of college living in a sorority house.  Once I went to the movies by myself.  Once I went out for dinner by myself.  As a 22 year old, I was completely uncomfortable being alone and avoided it.

After three weeks in Orlando, I had made some friends to hang out with.  After a couple months, I had a solid group of friends.  After a year, I had developed life-long friendships.

I decided a party of one was fine by me - and I went to skate in the nice weather!




Where's waldo?












Skating towards the camera!












I even made a video!

What a fun date I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment