Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New-York-aversary

It's my New-York-aversary!  Yep...it's been exactly one year since driving into the city, getting to our new apartment, and realizing that the movers were coming in 16 hours and the apartment was still currently full.  Oh, the fun of an 8 hour drive and realizing that there was so much work to be done, it wasn't guaranteed to happen before I started my life-consuming job.

I cried a lot of tears the first night in New York.  It was a mixture of sadness (I just left Atlanta, my home for 5 years), excitement (I was there with Mike and couldn't wait to see all my friends), and mostly Panic (what was I thinking moving to New York?).  We were too exhausted to do anything so, for the first time, we did what we would do many many times in the coming year - order Indian food.

Now, I'll take a step back.  When I said we arrived in an apartment that was currently full, I didn't mean completely full.  Nope, there were a few things the previous occupants (Mike's Parents :)) had already moved out.  Three things I can remember specifically: the couch, every single chair, all eating utensils.  Therefore, when the Indian food arrived with no plastic forks or spoons, we had to be resourceful.  We hadn't ordered naan so eating Indian food with our hands was CERTAINLY out of the question.  We thought about using a glass to scoop some food and pour it in our mouths but that just felt gross.  We finally settled on a couple baking spatulas to shovel the curry.  We sat on the floor and ate it off of cardboard boxes.  

Last night, to celebrate our New-York-aversary, we decided to re-create that Indian dinner.  We piled up a few cardboard boxes, grabbed a couple spatulas, and ate sitting on the floor.

I wondered how successful my first year as been in New York, so I made a list:

  • Number of Broadway Shows I've Seen:  4 (Rain twice, American Idiot, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and Catch Me if You Can).
  • Number of Visits to Rockefeller Center: 2
  • Number of New York Hot Dogs Consumed: 2 (One Papaya King, One dirty water dog)
  • Number of Times Walked Over Brooklyn Bridge: 1.5
  • Number of Times Eating Pizza at Grimaldi's: 2
  • Number of Different Types of Pizza Eaten at Grimaldi's: 4
  • Number of Speakeasy Joints Where Drinks Cost > $15: 3
  • Number of Snowstorms: 3
  • Number of Natural Disasters: 2
  • Number of Taxi Rides: 200 (Approximation)
  • Number of Panic Attacks on the Subway: 2,000,000 (Approximation)
  • Number of Rain Boots Purchased: 1
  • Number of Hours Billed at Work: >2,000
  • Number of Times I Uncontrollably Screamed out "I Love New York":  0
Looks fairly successful to me.  Let's see what the next year brings!


No comments:

Post a Comment