Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

All Shook Up

Sitting at my desk on the 44th floor of this building (the whole building is only 47 stories high):


I became very dizzy.  All of a sudden, I realized I was REALLY not feeling well.  But then my office mate and I looked at each other and said, "do you feel that?"  We ran out into the hallway and looked at the hanging lights swinging back and forth.  One of the secretaries said, "we are definitely shaking."

Everyone started coming out of their offices and, of course, being in New York, the first thing we think is a terror attack.  "Why was our building shaking?!" everyone worried.  By everyone worried, I mean I worried. Everyone else seemed calm but curious.  We called the downstairs operators who said they didn't feel anything.  I was scared and had no idea what happened.

I went back into my office and see that Mike has sent me a message, "WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE!"  An EARTHQUAKE?!  Finally, the PA came on and announced that there was a 5.9 magnitude earthquake.  Then I started getting really scared.  I knew there might be aftershocks and I really just wanted to get out of the building.  I was afraid to take the elevator!  What if there was another one while I was in it!  Kim was so kind and offered to take me out of the building in the elevator.  I took her up on the offer.

When we got to the lobby, there was a huge crowd of people outside the building.  There was no chance I was about to get in the subway so I began walking to the east side to catch the bus.  Every time I passed a tall building there were hoards of people crowded outside.  Every phone call I overheard was talking about the earthquake.  I was so thankful to have made it out alive.

Of course, there is a fault line right on 125th street.


So, I'm hoping there will be nothing else.  New York just won't stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment